Data Lake security is the process of making sure that users have proper access to the data they require. This involves certain files or certain data inside a file as described by an organization’s access policies and security for the data lake. These policies can have an impact on both the internal philosophy of the company regarding data access as well as those needed by data privacy regulations like CCPA and GDPR. Before you learn about data lake security in detail, let’s begin with its role in modern enterprises.
Role Of Data Lake Security In Modern Enterprises
Most popular and successful organizations recognize data in the form of an asset that helps them to serve their consumers better. Data is also used to drive business value by using several machine learning tools and analytics. Data lakes are created for storing huge volumes of data in its actual format having an assumption that the data will be processed later. Organizations gain more flexibility to use data assets efficiently when they work with multiple data, be it structured, unstructured, etc. Running a range of workloads assists organizations with effective flexibility.
Challenges Faced By A Data Lake Security
A proper data lake security plan requires 5 vital challenges.
- Data Protection: Going beyond encryption for enhanced protection
- Data Access Control: Enhancing inbuilt IAM controls to provide fine-grained access control
- Data Governance and Compliance: The system should be designed for enabling quick compliance with data privacy regulations and industry
- Data Lake Usage Audit: Ensures excellent data security by analyzing what data is present in the lake, who uses it, and how much they are using it
- Data Leak Prevention: can arrive from inside or outside the firm
The goal that Data Lake Security offers is phenomenal. An effective data lake security aims to ensure responsible and faster access to the data thus allowing users to continue with innovation.